To be considered as an adopter, you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Have identification showing your present address
- Have the knowledge and consent of your landlord
- Be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide medical treatment and proper care of the dog
- Our adoption area is within a 6 hour drive from Chicago, IL. This allows us to be less than one day’s drive away in case the adoption does not work out or for other emergency issues with the galgo or adoptive family. Exceptions are occasionally made when we have other adopters in the area who can help in such situations.
- Most galgos require a 6 foot fence due to their great jumping ability and high prey drive. We do adopt to families that do not have a fenced yard as long as they commit to leash walking only and to never use a tie down.
- All dogs should always be supervised while outside in a backyard and should never be left unattended.
Our adoption fee is $550.
This fee includes a no-escape harness, microchip and registration, spay/neuter, current vaccinations, current heartworm preventive and flea/tick preventive.
Love Hope Believe Galgo Adoption currently works with multiple shelters in Spain to transport galgos to the Chicago area. There are many costs involved in giving rescued galgos a new life in the United States:
- Spain shelter adoption fee: $260
- Airline crate for the transport of the galgo: $200
- Airline cargo fee: $400
Total estimated cost to bring each galgo to the United States, excluding food and other incidental (such as veterinary) fees: $860.
Once we receive your application we will notify you that we have received it. After reviewing your application, we will take the following steps:
- Phone interview: We will go over your application with you and assess the type of pet you are looking for, considering your current pets and home environment, and talk about adding a galgo to your family.
- Reference checks: We will contact your references. If you are a renter, we will need to contact your landlord to verify that dogs are allowed.
- Home visit: We will schedule a home visit with you to assess any safety concerns, and answer any questions you may have.
- Meeting: You will then have the opportunity to meet the galgo. If you currently have dogs, we will introduce them at this time to ensure a good match.
- Adoption: A representative of LHB will deliver the galgo to your home and complete the adoption.
Our adoption process, from the time you submit your application to welcoming your new family member to your home, can take as short as two weeks and as long as 30 days.